How do I get a scratch out of my kids brand new glasses?
Share this article
Have you ever had a situation where your kids come home with a scratch on their brand new glasses and you're wondering how to fix it? You don't have to blame your kids too much, because they're likely to leave their glasses lying around when they're not wearing them, and it's a mistake that all kids can make. What we can do is find practical solutions to remove scratches and follow specific steps to repair these glasses.
The first step is to assess the severity of the scratches
Before diving into solutions, it is important to assess the severity of the scratches in order to determine if they are repairable. Some scratches may be too deep or too large to be repaired and may require lens replacement. Glasses with scratches that are too deep for a simple repair may need to be referred to a professional eyewear care provider. Some of the following tips are for minor scratches only.
Practical solutions for minor scratches
- For minor scratches that do not require professional help, you can try some tried and true methods at home. For example, toothpaste can be a quick fix for those pesky lens scratches. Here are the specific steps:
- Clean the lens with a microfiber cloth to remove any dust or debris.
- Apply a small amount of non-abrasive toothpaste to a cotton ball or soft cloth.
- Gently rub the toothpaste onto the scratch in a circular motion for about 10 seconds.
- Rinse the lens with cool water, then pat dry with a clean soft cloth.
- Repeat the process if necessary.
Note: Avoid using toothpaste that contains additives such as whitening agents or baking soda, as these may damage the lenses.
Another way to remove scratches involves the use of lens polishing products. There are lens polishing products on the market that are specifically designed to remove scratches from eyeglasses. These products usually come with detailed instructions and can be found at your local optical store or online. Be sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions for the best repair results.
How can I prevent scratches on my glasses?
Scratches on your kid's glasses are normal, and even adults inevitably scratch their glasses. Then it is necessary to know how to prevent scratches on your glasses. Here are some tips to help your child take better care of their glasses:
1. Teach your kid to pick up or place their glasses with both hands to avoid damage to the frames or lenses if they are not stored correctly. And encourage your kids to store their glasses in a protective case when not in use.
2. Show your kid how to properly clean their glasses with wipes and lens cleaning solution to avoid scratching the lenses.
3. Schedule regular checkups with an eye care professional to ensure that the glasses fit properly and are in good condition.
Scratches on your kids' brand new eyeglasses may affect how well they fit, so parents need to be patient and try to help fix minor scratches on your child's glasses at home. If the scratches are too deep for simple repair of the glasses, it may be necessary to seek help from a professional eyeglass care provider. And show your child the proper way to store and clean their glasses to ensure that they develop a sense of protection.